I want to build a plane of the Khalkin-Gol campaign 1939. Fortunatley ICM offers such an option ("red 9").
- I can not find a photo of "red 9". Can somebody help?
- Are black outlined stars more likely?
- Blue or aluminium undersurface?
Halkin-Gol photos are rare: few from accident reports and few from war correspondents who took propaganda photos, mostly pilots and Japanese wrecks. You will probably find most of existing photos in Russian book by Kondratiev (probably same selection in new Kotelnikov's book in English).
For Colour scheme you have to apply common sense:
• Type 18 was produced from late 1938
• Light blue was discontinued in 1937 and it reappeared as AII Light Blue in mid-1940
• 1939 Type 10 techn manual specifies AII Light Gray
• Acording to Maslov, I-16's undersides were painted in light gray first and then finished with glossy clear varnish
• Silver AII Aluminum was used on I-15bis undersides at approx the same time
• Some I-15bis, I-16 and UTI-4 photos suggest different paints for fabric and for metal parts. These paints are interpreted as light gray AE-9 for metal and silver AII Aluminum for fabric parts
Hope this helps,