sovietwarplanes.com
April 27, 2017, 12:45:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The site's front page has been updated!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I-15bis page  (Read 2981 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: October 23, 2011, 02:43:47 PM »

Hi,
I've uploaded a page on the I-15bis at http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/i15/i15bis/i15bisevolution/i-152evolution.htm
Please, have a look and let me know your suggestions.
Regards
Massimo
xan

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 03:10:26 PM »

Great!
I didn't know the pic of the white I-15bis, and the "white 68" with if very strange camouflage. If I did an another I-15 (not yet) I will do one of those two...
Xan

KL

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 03:44:43 PM »

Massimo,
Where did you get mid-1937 as the beginning of the production???

Maslov says that several tens were produced in 1937 (in several documents 100 planes are mentiones as "in the process of production", while the plan for 1937 was 270 planes), all those planes were counted as 1938 production.  Not likely that any of those reached VVS units during the winter 1937/1938.

It is possible that first "bises" were sent to China.  Spain received its I-152bis fighters only in late 1938!

KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 11:20:20 PM »

Hi Xan, hi Konstantin
Where did you get mid-1937 as the beginning of the production???

Red Stars volume 6 of Gordon and Dexter, p.62.
Units of the VVS began to receive the I-16bis in mid-1937 even before State Acceptance Trials has been passed...
...four volunteers squadrons were dispatched in November 1937 to the Nanchang area to support the Chinese....
Regards
Massimo
bbrought

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 04:57:43 AM »

Hi Massimo

I think I am like many "lurkers" here who don't participate directly very often but read just about everything on the forums and your website. I find the "evolution and painting" pages a fantastic resource and a great starting point for the interesting follow-up discussions (often between yourself and Konstantin). You are the total opposite of that "other" researcher in that you seem entirely open for debate, which in the end lead to much more and better quality information coming out. I also like how you keep reviewing the colours in your tables. Keep it up!

BA Broughton
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 06:22:19 AM »

Thank you very much.
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 12:47:44 AM »

Hi,

do you see the thing under the wingroot? I suppose that it is some sort of camera gun.  Has anyone seen such a device on other photos?
regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 08:15:40 AM »

Hi, after the page on Chinese I-15 bis at http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/i15/i15bis/tapani/chinese/chinese.htm

I have uploaded two further pages with drawings of Tapani:
one on I-15 bis of the Winter War
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/i15/i15bis/tapani/winterwar/winterwar.htm
(here is a sample)

and one con camouflaged I-15 bis during the gpw

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/i15/i15bis/tapani/camouflaged/camouflaged.htm
(here is a sample)

Please, let me know your comments.
These pages aren't yet linked to the main page; other ones are in preparation.

Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 12:47:46 PM »

A new page with two profiles in winter painting.
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/i15/i15bis/tapani/wintercamo/wintercamo.htm

Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 10:33:22 PM »

That I-15bis with the AMT-1 is very interesting - I've never seen a camouflage like that on an I-15bis, but the photographs seems to indicate these colours. The winter-camouflaged example, 'Red 52' is one I've built from the ICM kit.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon

http://www.learstang.com
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 12:10:53 AM »

Hi Jason,
yes, it is very nice. If you have seen the page, there is another profile of the same unit with a bit different camouflage.
Regards
Massimo
righidan

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 04:17:23 AM »

Dear friends,
   my New Year's resolution is that perfect is the enemy of good.
   So I will not translate original orders or other original material, but I will nether less offer my consideration on the I-15bis page.
   The first consideration is that the profiles are really very nice: I do not know if Mr. Tuomanen is a professional illustrator, but in my eyes he lacks nothing to be one!
   About the colors of No. 62, I have read the topic in scalemodels.ru that Massimo reported in the thread: Re: polichromatic camouflages and unknown AMT of December 30, 2016.
   If I have not misunderstood it, and oversimplifying, it states three points:
1) In 1941 some new planes, from some specific factories, were finished in three color uppersurface camouflage.
2) Many new planes were finished in black/green uppersurface camouflage.
3) Many old planes were finished with various amounts of green and black on their uppersurfaces.
   So I suggest that No. 62 could just be a “normal” grey/silver plane, with uppersurfaces painted with large bands of green and thin bands of black.
   Of course we all know that it is impossible to reconstruct with certainty colors from gray scale photos, but as in this forum it is possible to discuss various possibilities in a polite and civilized way, I tried a very crude experiment: I copied the photo of 68 from Massimo’s site, then I copied a small rectangle from the undercarriage (No. 1), and pasted it in different places of the fuselage on the dark color (No. 2) and on the light color (No. 3) which I supposed had lighting similar to the undercarriage.

No science at all, but you can see that it is almost impossible to distinguish the rectangle from the rest of the light camouflage.
   Of course I could be proved wrong, but I swear that I would like to see a profile with these colors, especially if done by Mr. Tuomanen!
Best regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 10:31:09 AM »

Hi Daniele,
thank you for your opinion.
I don't think that the light color could be the base silver/grey of prewar plane. The main reason for my belief is that there are photos of MiG-3 and Po-2 based around Vladivostok that have a very similar camouflage, and these types never wore a grey/silver livery not even before the war (the operative planes I mean, not prototypes or aeroclub machines).
http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=2150.0
Regards
Massimo
righidan

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »

Dear Massimo,
   I think that you have a good point!
Best regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 12:00:23 PM »

Hi Daniele,
after your question, I've added the link on the page of I-15 bis. I thought to have already done this, but it wasn't so.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: