sovietwarplanes.com
April 27, 2017, 12:44:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The site's front page has been updated!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/72nd Academy Il-2 two seater straight wing  (Read 1913 times)
Jirokoh

« on: March 14, 2016, 10:25:21 AM »

Hello Smiley

I registered on this forum some time ago, and came back looking for some documentation for my current build Smiley
I figured out I could show my work here, to have some advice, and so that you could tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or completely inaccurate Smiley
My goal is to make a diorama of an Il-2 two seater straight wing, with some figures, and a gaz AA starter truck next to it Smiley

But first, here are some pictures of the actual Il-2 model (with some PE added, and a lot of scratch Wink)

The inside :

The under-fuselage radiator :

The gunner's 12.7 :

Scrath build of the engine cooling airflow exhaust, compared to the kit's one :

The kits radiator intake :

And scratch build :

Some aluminum paper was added to simulate the reinforcement on the wings, and the machine guns and canons were made out of streched cotton-bud

The flaps are going to be represented as extended, so I made the mechanical indicator :

Out of Tamiya putty, I tried to make the karman, since it's not completely flat on the reall plane, I tried to get that tiny layer :

Here it is with the inner strucutre of the wing, seen when the flaps are down (all scratch build) :

And the top side of the plane, seen when the wings where glued, and puttied :

I'm currently working on some figures, the truck, and redoing the aluminum paper reinforcements, since they should cover the entire wing, and not just the top side.
I had a question, concerning the gun fairing on Z.18 straight wings, was it completely round, or a bit flat on the leading edge ? Because Academy represents them flat, but I've seen some pictures of round ones on Z.18 arrows. I hope someone can help me Smiley

I hope you'll like my build, and that it's not too inaccurate Smiley
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 01:46:56 AM »

Hi,
it's a beautiful work, but there is an error:
It's a plate opened on the rear and on the low side, not a duct. The plate covers the fuselage side that has an outlet grille weakening its armour. I suggest to cut it, open it on its lower side and rebuilt the side of the fuselage under it.
Regards
Massimo
Jirokoh

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 04:44:36 AM »

Thank you ! Smiley

It's a plate opened on the rear and on the low side, not a duct. The plate covers the fuselage side that has an outlet grille weakening its armour. I suggest to cut it, open it on its lower side and rebuilt the side of the fuselage under it.

I'm sorry, but I didn't really get what you say ? I'm don't really understand which part I should change ?  Undecided

But thank you for pointing out what's wrong ! Cheesy
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 01:04:29 PM »

Hi,

this piece behind the exhaust pipes is the problem. It shouldn't be a duct, but a protection plate over a grille. The plate should be open both rearwards and downwards.

Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 08:59:50 PM »

Very nice work! Regarding the gun fairings, before the arrow (and some late straight-winged two-seater examples), Z.18 had squared fairings for the VYa-23 23-mm cannons.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon

http://www.learstang.com
Jirokoh

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 12:57:06 PM »

Thank you both of you for your replies Smiley

I changed the pieces behind the exhausts, because I was told what you told me, so I guess they are less wring now Smiley

Thanks Jason ! (it's seems you didn't get my MP ? I asked you about that, but maybe I didn't get it to be send  Huh)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 01:27:57 PM »

Hi, I suggest to file a bit the nose side just aside the front of the oil cooler intake recess over it. Academy ones look a bit angular on this part.
Regards
Massimo.
Jirokoh

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 01:40:23 AM »

Hello Smiley

Here's a little update on my Il-2 Smiley I started painting it, using Massimo Tessitori's drawings :

It still needs some work, berofe getting it's winter camouflage over it Smiley

I hope you like it ! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:41:58 AM by Jirokoh » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 04:17:31 AM »

Hi,
it is a beautiful work. I like the rivets too, it is a lot of work on this model.
Regards
Massimo
Jirokoh

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 07:32:56 AM »

Hi,
it is a beautiful work. I like the rivets too, it is a lot of work on this model.
Regards
Massimo

Thank you very much Massimo ! It means a lot since I'm also using your work for it ! Smiley
learstang

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 08:20:55 PM »

That looks great with the paint on!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon

Jirokoh

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 05:22:21 AM »

Seems I haven't posted in a while up here !   Lips Sealed

So before I applied the winter camouflage, I went on trying to work on the differents shades of the camouflage :

Then I applyied the winter camouflage, based on Massimo's profile :

And a last picture with the first figure that will go on it (and my very first figure, not very big at 1/72nd scale!)

Then I tried scratching the flaps, since Academy doesn't give us the option to do it :

Here is my first attempt :

But that those structures are too high for the size of flap, so I did a secid version :

But then I saw on pictures that the structures were not all evenly seperated, as you can see on this picture :

So, I unglued everything, and got back to work, finally here it is :

And all four flaps are done :

I couldn't resist trying to see what it could look like :

And I rally like this last picture :

That's all for the moment Smiley I hope you like it ! Cheesy

If you see anything wrong, please tell me Smiley
learstang

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 05:27:24 PM »

This was a very nice model - did you ever finish it?

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: