Tu-2 variants

<< < (2/5) > >>

Dark Green Man:

well, the basic patterns can be seen here :

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Camouflage/NKAP_Template2.php

as I understand it you can do AMT-1/4/7/12 or AMT-7/A-21M/A-24M/A-32M
then comes the next question: how do you determine what plane used what scheme and what colors?
[/color]

TISO:
You forgot that GPW series had shorter carburator intake on top of the cowling (didn't have air filter) and a bit different main canopy glazing ( on the side the fuselage-window line is straight not broken). Tu-2 and Tu-2S i belive also have some differences regarding some of the panels and early Tu-2 used early in the war (since september 1942 on Kalinin front 132. OBAP and 12. BAP part of 3rd air army - machines produced in Zavod No.166 in Omsk) had divebrakes.

Drawings for details and different series can be found here (i know this isn't really nice to support pirates but i can't find the paper copies anywhere)
Voyna v vozduhe No.66 Tu-2 chast 1(War in the air No.66 Tu-2 part 1):
http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/AirWar/66/Draw/index.htm

Voyna v vozduhe No.67 Tu-2 chast 2 (War in the air No.67 Tu-2 part 2):
http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/AirWar/67/Draw/index.htm

Regarding camo:
In Aviakollekcija magazines 01 and 02 2008 (Modelist-Konstruktor). On colour profiles early machines produced in Zavod No.166 are given as standard 2 tone green-black and some Tu-2S machines from 1944 are drawn in two tone gray fighter camo (colour profile of plane with marking Moskva 32 from 6. BAP in summer 1944 is given as such). On page 79 of volume 2 there is also a skech of 3 tone upper camo used by Zavod No.23 in 1944 that produced most of the machines with colours used:
green ( A-24M )
dark grey ( A-32M )
Brown ( A-21M )

Graham Boak:
is there any way of linking these factories to particular production batches?  From what I can see (which is not a lot) some of the visible changes - single large or three small semi-ventral windows, twin small or single large mgs (and associated canopy changes?), smooth (and larger?) cowlings as opposed to ones with small blisters - can be tied to production batches.  OK, I've absolutely no doubt that they were so tied, but what is known?

The HobbyBoss kit is much the same build standard as the ICM one which is a later standard, but comes with the earlier green/black camouflage.  This seems possibly unlikely.

learstang:
Graham, I wouldn't go too much by Hobby Boss' painting guide.  This kit is probably of the later type machine, when they resumed production (Tu-2S), so would have the three-colour paint scheme.  From what Massimo has posted on his page on the Tu-2, it appears that there wasn't much standardisation on the three-colour scheme.

Regards,

Jason

Graham Boak:
I suspected that was true about the green/black camouflage, although I don't know whether I can rule it out on the early main production batches. It would help if batch numbers could be linked to dates, at least   There is conflicting information in different sources, notably the introduction of the small engine blisters - Block 20 or Block 49 - and the three semi-ventral windows, which is of course the standard of both kits.  I'm comparing the drawings given above with the block descriptions in Putnam's Tupolev (Gunston).  The plans only have the blisters on aircraft with single large semi-ventral windows.  Gunston has the combination on Blocks 44-48. but a photo of blistered cowlings and single large window captioned as block 20-44.  Gordon's Soviet Air Power isn't a lot of help.

One query is about the canopies: the one in the ICM kit is flatter (and with one right side window slightly bulged, something I've found no reference to).  However this flatter shape doesn't seem to appear in the drawings above.  According to Gunston this is a Block 48 onwards feature. It isn't visible on the plans above.

PS  The 4-bladed props are linked to block 59, together with larger fins and rudders (sensible enough to an ex-aerodynamicist), and a larger nose transparency from Block 48.  So just adding 4-bladed props to the kits is certainly not possible, but do these block numbers really mean postwar - 1949 as one source says?  If block 48 is postwar, then the blistered cowlings could be too - shock horror gasp.  Then again, just what is the difference in external diameter of these cowlings?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page