sovietwarplanes.com
March 24, 2017, 07:57:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The site's front page has been updated!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nose colour of La-5FN 2GIAP  (Read 6033 times)
FPSOlkor

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 05:54:05 PM »

White cap was not a FRE for the regiment as such, but for each regiment at current time and location. Sometimes thay changed, particularly when regiment changed subordination. 2 GvIAP was known for being sent to different fronts recently. If photo was taken before regiment arrived to specific theater of war, or after described period, cap could be absent. Another note - bort numbers. I would suggest (although it is not for sure), that ARAt initial airplanes had through numbers, while here we can see 70 along with 180. That could be due to replacement of battle worn or destroyed airplanes.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 11:16:40 PM »

Hi Oleg,
I think that the unit had two planes numbered 80 in factory (perhaps the second one is on the photo) and added  1 to distinguish them transforming one 80 into 180. I've already seen La-5s with three numbers, and the first is usually 1, probably because it's the only one they can place into the available space.
Regards
Massimo
FPSOlkor

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 09:02:32 AM »

Possible. But still? there could be some differences - squad consisted of 12 airplanes, quite commonly with through numbers (at least at the beginning of fights after getting new airplanes), and here we see 50. 70. 80. 180...
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 06:05:02 AM »

Hi,
in private mail, Johann has raised again the question of the noses of La-5FN of this unit.
I've asked Ruchkovsky if there are news about this topic, and he answered that the only information is that the unit repainted red the noses of their La-7 with the addition of Guards mark to prevent confusion with German fockewulf.
Interesting... hadn't other units problems in distinguish La-7s from FW190?

Returning to La-5FN photographed above, this gives space to photo interpretation.
In some photos, those noses appear as dark as the light blue undersurfaces.In other photo the noses appears darker, and in other ones appear lighter.
This could be the effect of colored filters on the camera or of different films.
On this photo the nose appears of the same grey of both the ground and of the undersurfaces

in this one both the grassy ground and the noses appear very light.

If this is the effect of a filter, it had the same effect on both the noses and the grass.
Being the dominant color of the grass green or yellow, this suggests that the noses could be in some color not too different from yellow.
The possibility of confusion with German planes suggests the same thing.
So, if it wasn't yellow as German Gelb 04, it had to be or a lemon yellow, or yellow-orange or lime green.
Any ideas on this?
Regards
Massimo

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:11:09 AM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
learstang

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 10:28:16 PM »

Could the nose and cowling be white? That makes more sense to me than having that much yellow on the nose, due to the possibility of the aircraft being mistaken for an Axis aircraft. I realise some aircraft from the middle of '44 or so on had yellow spinners, but not yellow cowlings.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon

http://www.learstang.com
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 12:08:38 AM »

Hi Jason,
no, it appears so light only on one or two photos, the same that show the grass very light. I've drawn them as an orange-red, but I am thinking to change it into orange-yellow.
Eventually, are you still in time to update the files for your book on Lavochkins?
Regards
Massimo
Johann

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 01:46:42 PM »

And yet, the more I look at the photo, the more I tend to the orange color of the nose and coca. Here are photos from a different angle, you can compare the inscription on the first car and nose on the second.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:48:20 PM by Johann » Logged
Johann

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 01:27:46 AM »

Massimo greetings. I was also sent a photo of La-5FN Mayorav, On it the color of the fairing of the screw differs from the hood

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 01:37:13 PM »

Hi Johann,
could you post this interesting photo on the Altervista forum, please? I think it's better to continue that one, it gives more guarantees of continuity.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: